Kuva

Kuva

Friday 11 April 2014

Waste talk!

Dear Blogspot,

Today I will tell you a bit about recycling! Waste talk... Or, talk about waste!

Yesterday we visited my town's recycling center and landfill (Yes, I´m studying Environmental Engineering, if you wonder why..)
It was quite eye- opening I´d say!
To be honest, I was a bit suprised that everything was so well organised. But on the other hand, seeing the landfill and The Huuuge pile of waste, made me wonder how big is My Own part of the pile!

Do you know how much of waste do we generate?
Well.. Let me tell..

If we share the amount of waste we produce nowadays, one person generates average 1,2 kg of waste per day. If you do a fast calculation it makes 438 kg per year!
(But it varies, depending on where you are from, for example in Finland we generate averagely 4300 kg of waste per person per year, almost 10 times more than the average of the world. )

Then considering we have about 3 billion residents in the world..... We end up to this number ----> 1 314 000 000 000 kg of waste per year = 1,3 billion tonnes of waste!
Seems like a big number, doesn´t it?

According to some estimations the amount of waste we generate will even be doupled, in the next 10 or 15 years.
Should we probably do something?
Or do you personally prefer swimming in a waste sea in the future?

Yeah, maybe these numbers made it more clear for you. But in case it's still not clear enough, let's create a picture for your great mind.

The volume of your waste naturally varies, because not all waste is the same. It can vary even between 50 - 500 kg/m3.  But let's assume averagely you can fit 150 kg of waste into one cubic meter. This means every year, you need a new 1 m x 1m x 3m space for the waste you generate!
Then what if we count it for the whole world. ( I´m a bit scared to do that, but iĺl do it anyways..)
I came up with the volume of 8 760 000 000 m3!
This means every year we need a space which is;
50 meters high, 50 meters wide, and 3 504 kilometers long...
just for the waste we produce in one year! Scary, huh?

What can you do to reduce the amount of waste you produce?
Do you recycle?
Do you thing we can generate this huge amount of waste without recycling some of it?
Could we find some more solutions for the utilizations of the waste?

Dear Blogger, I just want to make you think a bit.

But, I think that's about it today!
Maybe sometime I will tell more about the options of what to do with the waste we generate!
Or do you have some ideas for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment